Board of Education Updates
|June 1, 2017||Filed under Superintendent|
The following is a summary of actions taken by the Sunnyvale School District Board at the February, March, April and May meetings.
- Selected the Santa Clara County delegation to the 2017 California School Boards Association: Danielle M. S. Cohen, Anjali Kausar, Bonnie Mace, Jodi Muirhead, Reid Myers, and George Sanchez.
- Awarded Calstate Construction a contract for the District Office HVAC and roofing replacement project. The board’s policy is to select the lowest responsive and responsible conforming bid for District projects.
- Approved a resolution authorizing the update of standards within the district for building materials.
- Approved the second interim Fiscal Solvency Report and certified that the District will be able to meet its financial obligations through June 30, 2019.
- Issued Final Facilities Offer and Facilities Use Agreement to Spark Charter School.
- Approved a resolution to become Subject to Uniform Public Construction Cost Accounting Procedures.
- Awarded a contract SS Cal Builders for the Bishop Elementary School Modernization Increment 1 and 2 projects.
- Approved a contract with PeopleAdmin for cloud-based Human Resources record keeping and employee hiring/onboarding solutions.
- Articulated their values, as a board, whom they represent, what they as board members bring, their areas of governance strength, and where there is room for growth. These values will be revisited by the board after the addition of the new board member.
- Awarded a contract to Escon Builders for the Sunnyvale Middle Schools Temporary Classrooms project.
- Approved a resolution supporting increased funding for special education equalization and the creation of a preschool funding mechanism for children with disabilities as proposed in AB 312.
- Held a special meeting to conduct board candidate interviews to fill a vacancy created by the resignation of Board Member Jeff Clarke. The board appointed Michelle Maginot as a provisional board member. Unless a petition calling for a special election pursuant to Education Code 5091 is filed in the office of the County Superintendent within 30 days of the provisional appointment, it shall become an effective appointment.
- Awarded a contract to Seward L Schreder Construction, Inc., for the Columbia Middle school Temporary Classrooms project.
- Approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the California School Employees Association and the District regarding the reclassification, job description, and salary range assessment for the Student Data Systems Technician and the Administrative Assistant II.
- Approved the 2016-17 Teacher, Classified Employee, and Management Team Member of the year nominations. Mirell Kazos, Shawn Machado, and Esteban Ybarra and Daniel Poo won respectively.
The final two Board of Education meetings of the year will be June 1 and 22.
The Board of Education is the elected governing body of the SSD. Its five members serve four-year terms and are elected by Sunnyvale residents. Learn more about the members, and view their meeting schedule, agendas, and minutes.