Submissions are welcome and encouraged for the District Digest. In general, the Digest covers programs, happenings and issues affecting our neighborhood schools, the district, and public education. Articles are posted frequently and a condensed, “digest” version is emailed quarterly to subscribers. The newsletter is archived for easy access to past issues.
Who can submit
School staff and teachers, as authorized by the Principal or front office, may submit articles of any length directly to the newsletter editors. PTSA/PTA/PTO members may submit their announcements directly as well. The Sunnyvale Community can also submit items which will be reviewed by newsletter editors. Submissions may be edited for consistency with District style guidelines.
How to submit
Send to email@example.com. Please include your name, email and phone. You may include the article in the body of the email in plain text or you may submit a Word document as an attachment.
What to submit
- Programs at your school that are unique to your school make good story ideas. These can be after-school teacher-led activities, clubs, a teacher having an especially innovative way of teaching students, unique partnerships your school has with outside support such as Google engineers coming to teach engineering at Bishop
- Include history and background of the program. When and how the program started and who started it. The good old fashioned 5 w’s (who, what, where, when, why).
- Include who is involved, number of students participating in the program, who funds the program, how does the program benefit children at your school, the role of the district that makes the program possible or helps the program succeed if applicable, any other information you’d like to share.
- Try to add testimonial to it if you can. Quotes from the people directly involved give the story depth. But keep the quote to one sentence or two short sentences.
- We recommend putting key information in the first paragraph, as this is excerpted in the quarterly Digest.
- Keep it in one voice as much as possible, and the same tense throughout.
- Try to vary sentence structure.
- Include high resolution images if possible.
- The Superintendent and his staff review and approve all stories prior to publication. Excerpts of the stories are published on the email Digest, with the full story available online.
|Issue||Month||Submission Deadline||Publication Date|
|1||September||August 16, 2023||September 1, 2023|
|2||December||November 15, 2023||December 1, 2023|
|3||March||February 14, 2024||March 1, 2024|
|4||June||May 15, 2024||June 1, 2024|