Bishop Elementary’s Leader in Me program has been certified as a Lighthouse School!
To be certified, the principal, school administration and staff must demonstrate that they engage in ongoing learning and develop as leaders, while championing leadership for the school. Leadership principles must also be effectively taught to all students through direct lessons, integrated approaches, and staff modeling.
Lighthouse Certification is a highly regarded standard that is attainable by every Leader in Me School. Leader in Me schools apply the leadership concepts of Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People tailored to elementary age students. FranklinCovey Education has established the Lighthouse Rubric to establish high standards for process fidelity and, ultimately, school outcomes.
Schools use the Lighthouse Rubric to measure outcomes in three areas: teaching leadership principles, creating a leadership culture, and aligning academic systems. Schools also measure their success as it relates to their unique school. Lighthouse Schools serve as exemplars to their community and other schools.
The school underwent an extensive day of observations, interviews, and data analysis, along with a thorough review of the Bishop Elementary School Leader In Me Evidence Binder.
Today, there are more than 300 schools around the world that have earned Lighthouse certification. by meeting the following criteria:
- Students are able to think critically about and apply leadership principles.
- Families and the school partner together in learning about the 7 Habits and leadership principles through effective communication and mutual respect.
- The school community is able to see leadership in the physical environment, hear leadership through the common language of the 7 Habits, and feel leadership through a culture of caring, relationships, and affirmation.
- Leadership is shared with students through a variety of leadership roles and student voice leads to innovations within the school.
- Schoolwide, classroom, family and community leadership events provide authentic environments to celebrate leadership, build culture, and allow students to practice leadership skills.
- The school utilizes The 4 Disciplines of Execution process to identify and track progress toward the high priority goals of the school, classroom, and staff members.
- Students lead their own learning with the skills to assess their needs, set appropriate goals, and carry out action plans. They track progress toward goals in Leadership Notebooks and share these notebooks with adults in student-led conferences.
- Teacher planning and reflection, trusting relationships, and student-led learning combine to create environments for highly engaged learning.
Leader in Me schools maintain their Lighthouse Certification for two years and continue to foster their growth in exemplifying a leadership culture. At the end of the two years, schools may recertify to maintain their Lighthouse Certification. Congratulations, Bishop!
To learn more about the Leader in Me program visit https://www.leaderinme.org/.