Fall is Back-to-School time and we all want what is best for our kids; good health is no exception. But kids don’t come with instructions on how to keep them healthy, happy, and thriving. You can make sure your children have all they need to do their best in school by providing a solid foundation of health. Fresh fruits and vegetables, physical activity, and enough sleep are the building blocks of success to give your kids a great start.
Here are a few healthy tips for parents; if done on a daily basis, they become healthy habits for students. Healthy kids grow up to be healthy adults!
1. Start the day with a healthy breakfast.
2. Choose unsweetened drinks and low-fat dairy products.
3. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day.
4. Eat well-balanced, nutritional meals as a family.
5. Encourage brushing and flossing every day.
6. Have regular dental and health check-ups.
7. Get at least an hour every day of physical activity.
8. Do physical activities as a family.
9. Limit screen time to 1 to 2 hours per day.
10. Help your child get organized by providing a dedicated “study space”.
11. Establish a regular homework routine.
12. Read with your child daily.
Article by Dagmar Paul, RN, MSN/District Nurse