The following is a summary of actions taken by the Sunnyvale School District Board at the December, January and February meetings.
December 11 (Special Board Meeting):
- Interviewed three executive search firms to assist the Board with the recruitment and selection process of a new Superintendent of Schools.
- Approved agreement for the Development and Operation of the Lakewood Branch Library and Learning Center at Lakewood Elementary School
- Approved Development Impact Fee Annual Report.
- Approved the 2019-2020 First Interim Fiscal Solvency Report. The Sunnyvale School District will be able to meet its financial obligations through June 30, 2022.
- Adopted Comprehensive School Safety Plans for 2019-2020.
- Appointed Leadership Associates as the Executive Search Firm for the new Superintendent of Schools
- Elected board officers and committee representatives. Michelle Maginot will be board president, Reid Myers will be board vice president, and Bridget Watson will be board clerk.
January 9 (Special Board Meeting):
- Met with Leadership Associates search firm advisors to discuss the overview of the superintendent search process, board/search firm protocols during the search, timeline for the search, board input regarding desired qualities and characteristics of new superintendent, board recommendation regarding community and staff groups to participate in input sessions with Leadership Associates consults, and discussion of online survey. For information on the search visit https://bit.ly/37JxERz
- Approved 2018-2019 Financial Audit Report, Measure BB Parcel Tax Report and Measure G Bond Audit and Procedures Report.
- Acceptance and Award of Bid for Sunnyvale Middle School Temporary Classrooms.
- Adoption of the Revised Growth Development and Sexual Health Curriculum for Grades 6-8
- Adoption of Resolution Supporting Participation in Census 2020
- Adoption of Resolution opposing the use and sale of e-cigarettes and electronic vaping devices
January 21 (Special Board Development Meeting):
- Approved 2018-2019 School Accountability Report Cards
- Discussed Board of Education focus areas for 2020-2021
- Adopted Resolution to dedicate a public utility easement and call for a public hearing on March 5, 2020 in order to support the EV buses that will soon be delivered to Sunnyvale School District. This electrical service upgrade is a key component to convert a portion of SSD’s transportation fleet to EV.
February 13 (Special Board Development Meeting):
- Drafted District equity statement based off of the Stakeholders’ Lyceum draft equity statements and discussed equity action planning.
The next Board of Education meeting is March 5, 2020.
Board of Education meetings are generally scheduled at 7 p.m. on the first and third Thursday of the month at the Sunnyvale School District Office, 819 W. Iowa Avenue, Sunnyvale.
The Board of Education is the elected governing body of the SSD. Its five members serve four-year terms and are elected by Sunnyvale residents. Learn more about the members, and view their meeting schedule, agendas, and minutes at https:/www.sesd.org/Page/57.