I can’t believe it’s been 10 years since we started The District Digest! Our quarterly online newsletter has grown so much since we first conceived the idea following the successful passage of Measure B. Our then Superintendent, Dr. Benjamin Picard, suggested we open up lines of communication with parents and the community in order to be as transparent as possible as to how Measure B funds were to be spent. Thus, the first issue debuted in September 2011. Through a stroke of luck, I’ve managed to locate our initial list of objectives from an early planning meeting:
- Thank You – Measure B thank you letter from Dr. Picard and how we will use funds
- Calendar of upcoming events
- Highlight Key Programs: e.g., Gigi the Penguin software we are using at Bishop and San Miguel, after-school learning “beyond the bell”, business partnerships, GRANTS counseling, Columbia has a GREAT music program- all kinds of recognition for our schools and staff.
- Dr. Picard will ask Principals for ideas for future mailings
- Awards and distinctions: Employees of the Year, Teacher of Year, Manager of the Year
- California Distinguished Schools, Governor’s reading awards, Fairwood Explorer program
- Success stories from all schools
Looking back at 40 issues of the Digest delivered to thousands of email inboxes, I’m proud to say we have expanded upon these early objectives in so many ways. Each quarter, we do our best to bring you the inside scoop on the wonderful happenings inside our elementary and middle schools. All of our issues are archived on our website and we invite you to take a closer look at how much we’ve grown over the past decade.
By Kathryn Besser, Editor