The City of Sunnyvale, Sunnyvale School District (SSD), and Fremont Union High School District (FUHSD) have approved the design for a new branch library and learning center in the Lakewood neighborhood. The 20,000-square foot facility will be located on approximately 2.15 acres of the Lakewood Elementary School property.
The three agencies partnered on the plans and cost sharing for the new facility. The project team held multiple community and stakeholder meetings to develop the design and layout. Intended to be a hub for learners of all ages, the new facility will be LEED Gold equivalent and feature:
- Children, teen and adult library sections
- After-hours space to collect reserved materials
- Flexible program rooms for SSD and FUHSD students
- Reservable rooms for studying, meetings and events
- Spaces to support technology and multi-media learning
- A maker space for hands-on creativity, ex. laser cutting, 3D printing, woodworking
- A family space and children’s play area
- Bike parking and electric vehicle car charging stations
The project is scheduled to begin construction in fall 2022. The Lakewood Branch Library and Learning Center is planned to open in spring 2024. The current estimate for design and construction is approximately $28.3 million.
Project background: https://sunnyvale.ca.gov/business/projects/library.htm